When a friendship is formed based on a mutual commitment to painting, a door for collaborative communication opens. Feelings of weight and weightlessness create a pleasant tension in the gallery, and Seton is proud to exhibit their work together for the first time.
Cat Balco received her M.F.A. in painting from the Yale School of Art in 2007, where she was the recipient of the Helen Winternitz Award in Painting and the Gloucester Landscape Painting Prize. She has been awarded residency fellowships through the Weir Farm Trust, the Albers Foundation, the Vermont Studio Center, and the Yale School of Art at Norfolk. She is currently an Assistant Professor of Painting and Drawing at the Hartford Art School/University of Hartford.
Megan Craig received her Ph.D. in Philosophy from the New School for Social Research in 2007 and her B.A. from Yale in 1997. She has been awarded painting residencies and fellowships from the Vermont Studio Center, the Weir Farm Trust, the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, and the New York Foundation for the Arts, and the Pollock-Krasner Foundation. She is currently an Assistant Professor of Philosophy and Art at SUNY Stony Brook, in Stony Brook, NY.
Artspace’s City-Wide Open Studios is an annual fall program where artists from across Connecticut are invited to exhibit their work. As the Seton Gallery Director, I coordinate faculty and students within the University of New Haven Art & Design Department to install a one-weekend durational exhibition. The experience of installing 100 + artworks in a week, talking about one’s body of work, and de-installing after two days prepares students for collaborating with non-profit galleries, working in unfamiliar spaces, and presenting cohesive exhibitions with a fast turnaround. We have exhibited at The Goffe Street Armory for two years in a row and the old New Haven Register building. Thousands of visitors and over 350+ artists participate each year in this exhibition. We have exhibited at The Goffe Street Armory for two years in a row and the old New Haven Register building. Thousands of visitors and over 350+ artists participate each year in this exhibition.
The massive brick armory was commissioned in 1927 and dedicated in 1930. Local dances were held there in the 1950’s and 60’s. Boat and auto shows have also convened on the armory’s colossal parade floor. The building was last used to house two National Guard units and has also been home to the historic New Haven Foot Guard. The Foot Guard’s musical units continued to use the armory to rehearse until 2009 when the building was closed. New plans for the armory are being discussed between the Dixwell community and the city, led by a committee of the New Haven Board of Aldermen. Dreams for the space include a youth center, bowling alley, basketball courts, horseshoe pits, and more.